Sunday, February 9, 2014

Milton D. Beatty letter - Nov 3, 1888

Here's the second in a series of letters sent from Milton D. Beatty to Kate E. H. Hughes while they were "courting" at the time. She was a teacher and was often away during the school year.

Indiana PA
Nov. 3/88

My dearest friend Kate-

I received your kind letter of the 28th on Hollowene night and (ashamed to state) have neglected to answer it until this morning. I wish you to know that my neglect does not originate from any disinterest. We have had very beautiful weather this week up to last night. I think it rained all night and was raining this morning when I got up. We were busy husking our barn and got through. Yesterday we only had 5/12 husk. Kate it makes me feel unpleasant to know that you are in a place where there are so many bad characters passing through. Yet when we know that the same one that looks down upon, and cares for us in one place

 
is in another. We then should not fear but consecrate ourselves to him who is able to the uttermost to protect us. I am glad to know that you are pleased with your school and that the citizens are satisfied with you and further that they are frank enough to say so. I think that there is nothing that so much encourages and lights one up as to have the assurance that their best efforts to do right are felt and appreciated by they for whom we are laboring. So if we think so let us be kind enough to say so. We lose nothing in so saying for every flower on other pathway shall cast its fragrance on our own. I would no doubt be an advantage to you if the school was graded and it would be much better for the scholars, especially where a school as large as you expect that one to be. But I suppose if you do not kick they will not stir. But I trust that your work will yield you a reward. And as time passes by your pleasure may be agitated and increased. So as to exclude all doubt that you have not done your duty


Kate I am almost destitute of any important news at this time and as I have learned by your letter that your people have sent you the ----- papers it’s not necessary for me to state anything in my letter that is in the paper. And there is very little in the paper anyway outside of politics. Your mother went with me to town in the wagon yesterday. She said that she was going to the post office for she was expecting a letter from you. I knew by her conversation that she was very anxious to hear from you.  I told her that I had received a letter from you and that you were getting along very well which seemed to be a gratification to her. The Roof girls were down here accompanied by the Jones’s  two oldest boys. They were on their way to Thomas Lucas’s and they stopped



to get sis and I to go with them. Sis got ready to go with them and I refused to go. Moreheads insisted very much for me to go so I went on account of sis going. Then they tried to get us to promise to go with them to Harry St Clair’s some night. They were trying to gather up a sled load to go. According to this they must be expecting snow or then they are going to try it in the mud. I think they had better wait until the snow comes before they gather a load. You are in no doubt over taxed writing to so many but I hope you will write me another letter as soon as is convenient as I am ever anxious to hear from you.


Yours Truly

Milton D Beatty



No comments:

Post a Comment