Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What Happened To David Hughes?? (Part 1)

One of the strangest and most intriguing characters in our family history is my 3rd great grandfather David Hughes. As you recall in an earlier post, David served two enlistments in the Civil War. Previously I posted a letter he wrote home to his wife in 1864 and it was easy to see the relationship was strained. What happens after the war gets even more interesting. The story I'm told is he comes home and his wife's foster mom tells him he can't see her or his children! Apparently he tries and tries with no success. Eventually the story is he goes to live with his sister out in Wisconsin. Why would she do this is anyone's guess?! One theory is she was widowed and depended on her. She may have feared if David took her away who would take care of her? Or maybe she just really didn't like him!

Several years of research reveals some answers. Yes, he does go to Wisconsin and part of the time he is living with his sister Elizabeth and her husband John Deam in Linden. I also discover that he spends several periods living in a veterans home in Milwaukee. Another revelation is one of his wounds from the Civil War was that he had been shot in the leg. An interesting item that stands out is he lists his mother-in-law as nearest relative and he is widowed?! So just what did Mrs. Holesberry tell him when he came home from the war?? Later you will see he made one more attempt in the 1870's, which would be not too long before this document was filled out. Did Mrs. Holesberry tell him upon his 2nd return that his wife was dead so he would stop trying?? Hmmm



Well whatever happened, 30 years passed and then for another unknown reason to us he makes contact with his wife and now adult children. I'm not sure who found who first. The following is a letter David wrote to his daughter Kate (Milton Beatty's wife) before the big homecoming.


 




















  


August 14th 1895

My dear daughter

Your letter of the 6th was missent. it was addressed all right. the fault was a bluder of the PM. in making up the mail he sent it to Iowa instead of Wisconsin. It however got here at last and I was greatly relieved as I could not make out the cause of the delay. I am now in haste to answer so that you will get it by Saturdays mail. We are well. I heard from your aunt Lizzie and she is now in Mineral Point and will not be home for a week or so yet. I however am doing well and don't feel worried the least bit. There is now but a short time until I will be picking up my traps in order to make my exit from this vicinity so if you will be so kind you may as well give me what instruction you can about the trains and what you expect me to do when I get there. If you jot the time I will try and make it suit to not disappoint you. That is if you will be so kind as to meet me at the Depot. I will come into Indiana on the train that will be the most convenient for you to be at the Depot when I arrive. I may have some more favors to ask before I arrive. It will be about a month yet till I will be ready to go. I am ward commisioner (the name gives the position away) and I am not through with that yet. 

 
























It will be a couple of weeks yet before I can hand in my resignation. Then I will have some wood to get sister and the potatoes to dig up. That poor old woman must be getting very feeble. I don't know her exact age but she must be between 80 and 90. Any how not much wonder she gets bewildered. I think she must be a great burden for your mother. So you are fattening a chicken, good for you. I hope it is a big one. All statesman, dignitaries, and even preachers love chicken. So does old soldiers. Yes I think they are pretty good to eat as well as to lay eggs and scratch the garden. I wrote to your mother on the 11th on the same day your brother Sammy wrote to me from the Hotel Naugle Blairsville PA, but he failed to tell me the cause of his stopping there over Sunday on the way from Glencairn to Indiana. But I know all the same, it is a pleasure to send you those papers. Will mail one to you along with this. Also one to your mother. From the fear that there is a motive in it of a party I was at last Saturday evening, the old gentleman mentioned is my best friend in these parts. Do write again as soon as you can to keep up my courage for the long trip I am about to make. Give my love to Milton and the babies. A large share for your self. Good bye from your affectionate father.

David Hughes


1 comment:

Unknown said...

cool, thanks for sharing

Post a Comment