Sunday, January 5, 2014

David Hughes Letter - January 16, 1865

David Hughes enlisted July 4, 1861 in Armstrong County to serve during the Civil War, and was assigned to Co. D, 62nd Regiment. Has was severely wounded in the Battle of Malvern Hill... was left on the battlefield, captured by the enemy and was exchanged back to the Union forces. While recovering in a Philadelphia hospital he was discharged January 27, 1863 due to disability. On September 9, 1864 he re-enlisted in Company F, of 6th U. S. Artillery. After serving a second time he was discharged June 13, 1865.

David sent this very emotional letter home to his wife Margaret while at Fort Marcy, Virginia dated January 16, 1865 about 6 months before he was discharged. What happens to them 30 years later makes this letter even more interesting.... stay tuned




Dear Margaret


With a willing mind I seat myself again to write you a few lines to inform you that I am well. I got the letters you wrote on New Years about twelve days ago.  I have been waiting very anxiously for the last five days to hear from you but to my great disappointment I have not had that pleasure. I have been in the habit for a short time back of writing twice a week to you and I at least expected one a week from you but have been disappointed in that I have been in the service five months yesterday and has just received five letters from you when I look back over the time and think how often I have looked for a letter from you and the many times I have been disappointed. It makes me feel very bad that I get to hear so seldom from one that I so dearly love. We are looking every day to get orders to go to Savannah and if I don’t get a letter from you before we start it will be another month before I get to hear from you. Though we may not leave at all but if we don’t we will be disappointed for the report came from Headquarters. I am sorry and may be wrong in reminding you about not writing oftener to me but if you have a reason for not you will please to let me know what it is my dear wife. While I am writing this my very heart is burning to be with you and I will say again if you love me and desires to make me happy  write often. If I have done anything tell me all about it. You can’t offend me by that. If you can’t get pen and stamps let me know that and I will try and supply. All the pleasure I have is writing and receiving letters from you. I hope this may find you well and happy and if you ……  of any thing all you have to do is to go to the bank and draw money. We have not got payed yet and I am beginning to think we won’t get it now for the …. Knows when. Good bye from your husband.

                                                                                                D. Hughes


No comments:

Post a Comment