Friday, January 24, 2014

Milton D. Beatty letter - Oct 24, 1888

Here's the first in a series of letters Milton D Beatty wrote to Kate E. H. Hughes while they were "courting". Kate was a school teacher and was often away teaching in another county during the school year. These are a fascinating look into everyday life of our family 125+ years ago and a rare treat for family research!


Dearest Friend Kate,
I did not get your letter until yesterday evening, about 4 oc, and on discovering that I had used up the last of my writing paper in the last letter I wrote, I saddled up Bird, and rode up to town last night and procured some. Then I have been almost disappointed in writing tonight, and night is the only time I can have to write. I had a little errand up to your house, and after I came back from there I set in and picked about 2 bushels of apples. Then I came upstairs where I am yet trying to pen a few thoughts for you in answer to the loving message which I received. With all this I hope you will understand why you did not get an answer sooner.
 
Kate you cannot imagine how I was elevated to receive a letter from the hand of one so true and further to learn that you had arrived safe and et with marked success. I think you have a cause to be proud of your convenience in your work. I was afraid you would get a school out in the country and have perhaps a mile to walk from your place to school, but I am delighted that this is not the case. You stated in your letter to me that you had 32 scholars and your people informed me tonight that you have 38 now. When your no. swells to 50 I think there will be no danger of you getting lonesome in school, but your hardest time to put in will be from Friday evening until Monday morning. I am proud to know that you have churches in your little town and especially one as of your choice. More the next thing is they have a good preacher. When I was away from home there was nothing made me feel so much at home as to sit down in a church and listen to a good sermon.



Dear Kate, I would love to write something to you of cheering character but I am afraid my last efforts are in vain. Yet I trust you are not in need of any of that nature. It seems by your state of the weather that you have more rain up on the mountain than we have here. We have had several dry days since you left home. Last Sabbath day was dry (but cold). Monday
following was a very beautiful day, then today was dry the sun shown out all day which made the afternoon a pleasant one. And yet it is a very backward fall for getting the fall work done. We have been trying to get some corn husked. We have to work at a great disadvantage in this part of our work. We take the advantage of bad weather by sledding the corn into the barn on dry days, then we husk when it is raining. We have about 170 bush husked. It is hardly dry
 
 
enough to crib. I came out from preaching last Sabbath night a week ago with harry roof (I will not cabitalize) and in our conversation I inquired about his school. He told me they were the dumbest set out there he had anything to do with. He had then about 27 scholars, he asked them what state they lived in and he said there was only 3 that would tell. I think they are all very small. I saw Sam last night. I had a short chat with him. He inquired if I had heard from you. John hammers is clerking at Sim Cunninghams.
There is a band of gypsyss encamped opposite William Johnstens much to the displeasure of your people and Johnstens. I went up to the blacksmith shop this afternoon and their must have been 30 people there to see them among others was Emma Foster. Then when I came out there was 4 of the town ladys, one of them was a Miss Russel. It is now 25 minutes to 11 oc. They are all in bed. I am well and hope you are well also. Of your many correspondents you can write to none will appreciate your message more than I do. And by requesting an interest in your prayers as you are not forgotten in mine, I will close asking you to write again soon.

Good Night, Dear Kate
Yours Truly
Milton D Beatty
Indiana, PA

Oh!
I hope you will not omit your trip up the mountains, don’t be afraid of worrying me.
A few more questions if not improper.
Is your school a graded one
Are your scholars large or small
What far a class of people are they out there
This is all this time good night



No comments:

Post a Comment